The Michigan League of Conservation Voters is seeking a fulltime Development Director to foster a culture of philanthropy within our organization, direct strategies to develop stronger, more sustainable financial support across our family of organizations, deepen relationships with supporters across the state, and elevate Michigan LCV as a resource and an outlet for generous people interested in contributing to a mission that matters.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic and critical thinker who can grasp onto broad, ambitious goals and motivate a team on the ground to deliver on them. He or she will know how to craft a comprehensive fund development plan and how to effectively manage a team of staff, board members and supporters to deliver on that plan. He or she will be creative and appropriately opportunistic about seizing new opportunities for growth that align with a larger strategic plan and he or she will be a persistent, reliable leader. This position is an opportunity to institutionalize philanthropy and fund development within a fastpaced, growing political organization, lead and develop a team, and expand Michigan LCV’s impact in the Great Lakes State.
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and he or she is responsible for the following:
- Charting a course for longterm fund development that includes a balanced mix of donor sources and solicitation programs that attract, motivate and retain donors and ensuring those sources and programs align with our organization’s values, mission and plans,
- Designing and implementing strategic, costeffective fund development programs that drive toward annual goals, reflect our brand and our annual plan, operate efficiently and deliver a solid return on investment,
- Overseeing all of the organization’s fund development activities, including daytoday operations of the development arena and coordinating with other staff, board members and volunteer fundraisers,
- Managing a team of development staff focused on specific ranges of donors as well as specific tactics such as events and direct mail and developing that team into a powerhouse,
- Providing regular updates on strategy and progress to the Executive Team, staff and Board of Directors that motivate action, deepen understanding of the strategy, and provide insight into internal and external forces and trends playing a role in fund development efforts,
- Evaluating outcomes of programs and plans, recommending and implementing changes that apply lessons learned and increase effectiveness.
As a member of the senior management team, this position helps set the direction and ensure the health of our organization. The individual is expected to be a competent fundraising technician and play a leadership role in organizational development.
We are looking for candidates who can:
- Translate broad goals into achievable steps. Help set and manage appropriate expectations. Handle detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding management and development issues. Plan and implement programs. Establish strong relationships with the Executive Director, staff, governing board, volunteers, donors and the general community. Develop smooth and constructive relationships with people from all areas of the state.
- Plan and meet deadlines. Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of executive management. Demonstrate initiative and work as a team player. Approach new ideas with a sense of possibility.
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards in management, governance, and fund development. Convey a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the organization and our partners in the political and environmental sector. Demonstrate commitment to continued professional growth and development.