The Legislative Coordinator is a full time position split between the Virginia League and the Education Fund. The Coordinator is responsible for creating and implementing legislative and communication programs. A portion of the position will be devoted to the Virginia League’s web and media communications, political work and legislative advocacy at the national, state and local levels, issue campaigns, and related office management duties as assigned. The other portion of the position will be devoted to grassroots volunteer coordination and policy research for the Education Fund’s programs.
• Advocate for the conservation communities’ common agenda at the Virginia General Assembly;
• Monitor legislative activity at the General Assembly and provide updates to activists;
• Recruit and supervise interns;
• Coordinate the Virginia Leagues’ candidate endorsement process;
• Assist with implementation of political campaign field programs for the Virginia Leagues’ endorsed candidates;
• Coordinate website/social media communications and maintain website content;
• Assist in development of a communications strategy including voter education and candidate programs;
• Assist in coordinating local outreach and formation of grassroots campaign and advocacy network;
• Write, coordinate and distribute e-alerts, newsletters, press releases, presentations, and the annual Conservation Scorecard;
• Build relationships with other interest groups; and
• Complete other duties as assigned.
• Commitment to the vision and mission of the Virginia League;
• Possess exceptional communications, interpersonal, organizational, and verbal/written skills;
• Experience working on electoral and/or environmental issue campaigns;
• Ability to manage own time and shift readily between various assignments;
• Ability to work long hours when required and travel to different parts of state as needed;
• Familiarity with Virginia’s political landscape and legislative experience.
• Strong administrative experience and computer skills;
To apply/contact: Send cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references by September 20th to:
Virginia League of Conservation Voters
Attn: Legislative Coordinator
530 East Main Street; Suite 410
Richmond, VA 23219
(804) 225-1902; fax: (804) 225-1904
Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Organization: The Virginia League of Conservation Voters is a statewide, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve Virginia’s natural landscape for future generations. The Virginia League serves as the political voice of the state’s conservation community, working to make sure Virginia’s elected officials recognize that our natural heritage is an environmental and economic treasure for all.
The Virginia League is unique among conservation organizations in that we dedicate a full-time advocacy team to the General Assembly and we endorse and support pro-conservation candidates for election. We secure good public policies on the state level. We hold public officials accountable for their positions on environmental issues. We elect conservation leaders and strive for a majority in state government. Visit www.valcv.org for more information.
Our conservation priorities for 2013 include:
• Keeping the ban on uranium mining-visit keeptheban.org for more information;
• Protecting current land conservation programs;
• Promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy policies;
• Reforming Virginia’s transportation and land use practices; and
• Electing a conservation Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General and House of Delegates
Please apply by September 20, 2013