The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national priorities. To secure the environmental future of our planet, LCV’s mission is to advocate for sound environmental policies, to elect pro-environmental candidates who will adopt and implement such policies and to provide the state LCVs with the resources and tools to accomplish and sustain their mission. The League of Conservation Voters is seeking a senior strategic communications professional to serve as the Vice President of Communications. As the leading accountability and political environmental group, the Vice President of Communications will position LCV and our issues at the forefront of the political debate, major legislative and administrative initiatives and electoral campaigns. The Vice President of Communications serves as a member of LCV’s senior management team.
• Develop and implement a long-term strategic communications plan for LCV.
• Design and manage communications campaigns and messages for LCV programs.
• Manage organizational brand and message discipline across all LCV programmatic materials, including press releases, op-eds, speeches, online content, events and fundraising.
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with key political and policy reporters, and serve as secondary spokesperson.
• Work with LCV’s digital strategies team to help coordinate communications to membership of more than 600,000.
• Manage communications department activities, including staff, consultants and budget.
• Provide strategic communications guidance and assistance for partner state LCV organizations.
• Produce written materials, including op-eds, memos and reports.
• Additional communications-related responsibilities as assigned.
• Education: College degree required.
• Work experience: 8-10 years experience in communications, public relations or related field; campaign experience preferred.
• Skills: Strong campaign skills, including ability to indentify strategic opportunities; demonstrated experience developing high-level relationship with media; strong written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated understanding of new media tools and tactics; proven entrepreneurial abilities, creativity, and initiative; ability to work well in a fast-paced environment; ability to multi-task without sacrificing quality of work; understanding of environmental issues and their potential to engage the public.
• Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done; ability and willingness to travel. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
National Press Secretary, Online Campaigns Manager
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Vice President Communications” in the subject line by June 1, 2013. No phone calls please.
League of Conservation Voters is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply by June 1, 2013