LCV Statement on Earth Day Events
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 21, 2016
Contact: Seth Stein, (202) 454-4573 or email@example.com
Washington, D.C. — To celebrate Earth Day, this week, LCV, LCV’s Chispa program and our state league partners are holding 20 events in 7 different states. Staff and volunteers will participate in a wide variety of activities ranging from rallies and round tables to tree plantings and storm drain labeling.
“This is a great Earth Day to celebrate. With President Obama’s climate leadership, we’ve accomplished a great deal for climate action,” said LCV President Gene Karpinski. “We are leading the world and helping to tackle this crisis head on by growing our clean energy industries, finalizing the Clean Power Plan and negotiating a strong international agreement. Our Earth Day plans across the country show just how excited, energized and engaged our members are about the past and future progress we will make to protect our environment and leave our children and grandchildren a cleaner, safer planet.”
- Chispa Arizona hosted a community forum on Wednesday, April 20th in Phoenix to discuss the impacts of climate change and the importance of the Clean Power Plan for Arizona’s families.
- Chispa Nevada is celebrating Earth Day and Día del Niño (Mexican celebration of children) with an event on Saturday, April 23rd in Las Vegas, to teach children the how they can protect our air and planet.
- Protégete: Our Air, Our Health hosted two events on Wednesday, April 20th in Denver to advocate for the Clean Power Plan and promote clean energy at the Colorado state legislature.
- Climate Action Iowa will host four events.
- On Thursday, April 21st in Cedar Rapids, LCV volunteers and organizers will join Green Iowa to help plant trees and discuss the importance of tackling climate change and protecting our planet for future generations.
- On Saturday, April 23rd in Ames and Cedar Rapids, LCV will join community members and environmental groups to label storm drains and raise water quality issues as well as discuss the importance of energy conservation.
- On Sunday, April 24th in Iowa City, LCV volunteers and community members will participate in activities to promote clean air and clean water.
- Climate Action New Hampshire will host five events.
- On Monday, April 18th in Concord, LCV and the Environmental Business Council of New England held a roundtable to discuss the Paris agreement.
- On Wednesday, April 20th in Concord, LCV organizers, faith leaders and the science community hosted a roundtable to discuss climate change and solutions to address this crisis.
- On Thursday, April 21st in Exeter, LCV will host a rally to celebrate international climate action and highlight the historic Paris agreement.
- On Friday, April 22nd in Portsmouth, LCV volunteers and organizers will join Red Hook brewing company to celebrate sustainable brewing practices and the importance of clean water.
- On Saturday, April 23rd in Manchester, LCV volunteers and organizers will attend Plymouth State University’s Earth Jam event where they will discuss climate change.
- Climate Action North Carolina (a project of NCLCV) will host three events.
- On Tuesday, April 19th in Raleigh, local students and community members joined NCLCV to watch a documentary, Catching the Sun, and discuss efforts to grow our clean energy economy.
- On Friday, April 22nd in Charlotte, NCLCV organizers and community members will discuss energy consumption while distributing LED lightbulbs to local residents.
- On Friday, April 22nd and Saturday, April 23rd in Raleigh, NCLCV volunteers and organizers will discuss the importance of clean water for our economy.
- Climate Action Wisconsin (a project of WLCV) will host four events.
- On Tuesday, April 19th in Milwaukee, WLCV kicked off Earth Week with a Green Drinks event where volunteers gathered to discuss the importance of clean air and water protections, and take action to encourage Senator Johnson to protect our air and water.
- On Thursday, April 21st in Green Bay, WLCV and community members will discuss art focusing on environmental action, and encourage Senator Johnson to act on climate change.
- On Friday, April 22nd in Green Bay and Milwaukee WLCV will hold rallies to celebrate Earth Day.
- On Saturday April 23rd in Milwaukee, WLCV volunteers will celebrate the city’s commitment to sustainability by touring the Milwaukee Public Museum’s Green Roof and Solar Panel Kiosk.