Title: Communications Associate
Reports To: Vice President of Communications
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
Location: Washington, DC
Travel Requirements: Up to 10%
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: A
Salary Range (depending on experience): $53,445 – $62,542
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring a Communications Associate to serve as a key member of the Communications team, focusing on external communications through owned, earned, and social media. The Communications Associate plays a critical role in supporting the entire communications team and assists in drafting and distributing communications content across all of the communications team platforms and audiences. This role will also support executing events and logistics, and aiding in team administrative tasks, infrastructure upkeep, and tracking needs.
The ideal candidate is a thoughtful collaborator who is ready to learn, both take initiative and direction, pay close attention to detail while juggling multiple tasks, and uplift LCV’s organizational values and commitment to racial justice and equity.
- Support content creation for owned, earned and social media.
- Lead production and distribution of the weekly press-focused tip sheet, and, as needed, drafts other materials like blogs, website content, social media content, press statements and releases, op-eds, state templates, and toolkits.
- Participate actively in ensuring all materials created reflect LCV’s commitment to racial justice and equity.
Events and Logistics
- Set up logistics for communications team-led virtual events, such as Zoom-based press events.
- Assist with logistics for production processes, events, and large meetings across the team.
- Help staff and collect content at in-person events.
Administrative Tasks, Team Infrastructure, and Tracking
- Support administrative tasks across the full team.
- Monitor media and other metrics, and distribute information to appropriate audiences.
- Upkeep team infrastructure, including management of team calendar, organization of team drives, ensuring weekly reports like all-staff email updates are completed, and submitting and tracking invoices.
- Coordinate with vendors who provide team support services.
- Update team resource libraries and distribution lists.
- Travel up to 10% of the time for meetings and events, as well as staff retreats, meetings, conferences and professional development opportunities, as needed.
- Perform other responsibilities as needed.
- Work Experience: Required – At least 1 year experience in external communications, media relations or journalism. Experience with administrative tasks, including tracking data, monitoring media, updating resource libraries and distribution lists, or interacting with vendors. Preferred – Experience in a campaign, government or advocacy setting (internship experience acceptable). Experience with web, graphic design, and video editing tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro, and WordPress. Experience with events logistics, including virtual events.
- Skills: Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to prioritize and effectively manage tasks in a fast-paced work environment; ability to take initiative; strong organizational skills; ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and work with colleagues across many departments; strong research skills.
- Cultural Competence: Passionate about protecting the environment and communities impacted by climate change and environmental injustice. Committed to confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system. An ability to apply a racial justice lens, and a variety of communities’ distinct perspectives to communications strategies. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understanding of the ways in which principles of racial justice and equity are vital to improving our democratic systems and environmental challenges effectively.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. The person in this position frequently communicates with partners and journalists and must be able to exchange accurate information. Able to work hours exceeding stated office hours, as needed. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. LCV requires all employees working from our offices or participating in in-person meetings or events to be fully up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
LCV offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes vacation, sick and parental leave, personal days, paid holidays, health insurance (two plan options for staff to choose from), dental and vision insurance, life and disability insurance (short- and long-term), Flexible Spending Account, 401(k) retirement plan with company matching contribution, commuter benefits program, sabbatical, and student loan assistance.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Communications Associate” in the subject line by September 4, 2023. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.