Title: Chispa Arizona Community Organizer
Reports To: Chispa Arizona Organizing Director
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
Location: Phoenix, AZ
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country. We are unmatched in our ability to ensure meaningful action on our key issues. We aim to bring people and communities together across racial, geographic, political, religious, economic and other differences toward collective goals instead of dividing us from one another.
LCV launched Chispa, a grassroots community organizing program, to amplify the voice and power of Latino communities to influence local, state and national decisions that impact our health and environment. Chispa has programs in Arizona, Colorado, Maryland and Nevada. As part of our long-term commitment to engage new constituencies and to diversify the environmental movement, the League of Conservation Voters, primarily through grassroots community organizing programs, is fostering strong local and national Latino leadership in the fight against climate change. Chispa Arizona focuses on making progress on clean air, clean energy, clean water, access to public lands, and a free and fair democracy for all.
We are seeking a people oriented Community Organizer to join our Phoenix-based Chispa Arizona team. The Community Organizer will be an experienced organizer who is tasked with engaging and building relationships with the Latinx community and other communities of color in the Phoenix area to take action in the fight against environmental injustice and climate change. The Community Organizer must be passionate and invested in mobilizing and growing our statewide base of volunteers and supporters, and experienced in building individual and collective power in communities of color. The Community Organizer will join a hard-working, skilled, and growing data-driven organizing department, working closely with the Chispa AZ Organizing Director, organizers and volunteer teams. We are looking for an outgoing, friendly, self-motivated, experienced community organizer who is goal-driven and passionate about developing new environmental justice leaders who will fight for clean air, clean water, clean energy, including our Clean Buses for Healthy Niños campaign, and the protection of public lands.
- Build, develop and train a base of dedicated Latino grassroots leadership in the community that will have a long-term leadership voice advocating for environmental justice, community health policies and values in the community.
- Identify potential new members, recruit, engage and retain new volunteers by conducting one-on-one’s, presentations, and door-knocking and utilizing other community organizing methods.
- Support volunteer leaders in the development and sustaining of organizing committees who are involved in advancing campaign goals.
- Build relationships with schools, churches, community organizations, labor unions, public health groups, and other local organizations to work in partnerships to advance shared goals.
- Track organizing work and data meticulously in VAN and EveryAction; submit reports to the Chispa AZ Organizing Director.
- Work closely with the organizing team and Chispa AZ Organizing Director to implement and evaluate issue-organizing campaigns that successfully recruit volunteers, build grassroots environmental justice leaders and get the attention of decision makers and media.
- Work on youth and student volunteer recruitment in schools and colleges.
- Generate innovative ideas on ways to advance our campaign goals.
- Work Experience: 1-3 years of experience in grassroots community organizing, issue or labor organizing programs. Successful track record of grassroots community organizing, training volunteers, leadership development, implementing strategies and tactics, and forming alliances with other groups. Experience with EveryAction, VAN and Excel is highly preferred. Preference will be given to those who have Arizona organizing and or campaigns experience or ties.
- Skills: Ability to effectively work as part of a team and in community. Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of Latino communities in Arizona. Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment. Creative problem-solver who is resourceful during challenging or new situations. Ability to present campaigns and programs work to the community, leaders and allies in English and Spanish. Must be fluent in English and Spanish.
- Cultural Competence: Shares a commitment to advancing racial justice and equity and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities’ of color engagement in the environmental movement. Familiarity with Arizona and in-state community preferred.
- Conditions: Ability to travel within Arizona and nationwide for conferences, potentially up to 10% of time, and to work some evenings and weekends. Position requires a valid Arizona driver’s license and access to reliable transportation. This position is based in Phoenix, Arizona.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Chispa AZ Community Organizer” in the subject line by January 28, 2020. No calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.