Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports To: National Press Secretary
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
Location: Washington, DC
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country. We are unmatched in our ability to ensure meaningful action on our key issues. We aim to bring people and communities together across racial, geographic, political, religious, economic and other differences toward collective goals instead of dividing us from one another.
LCV is hiring a Communications Coordinator to serve as a key member of the media relations team. The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for fielding media inquiries, pitching reporters, speaking on the record, executing media events, assisting with rapid response, writing press releases and other materials, and coordinating with outside partners, including state affiliates and campaigns. This position is critical to the infrastructure of the communications department and will be working with members of LCV’s policy and lobbying team as well as external campaign staff to publicly announce endorsements of candidates for federal office across the country.
- Writes statements, press releases, op-eds, talking points and other communications materials, in coordination with state partners as needed.
- Pitches reporters, fields incoming inquiries, manages press lists and develops reporter relationships.
- Leads work related to endorsement announcements; serves as communications point person for LCV Action Fund.
- Coordinates media activities on priority campaigns, including press events, report releases, etc.
- Participates actively in applying a racial justice lens to drafting of all LCV communications, including press releases and statements.
- Cultivates relationships with the press, including reporters and media outlets staffed by and/or for people of color.
- Prepares and staffs LCV experts for on the record interviews and events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: 2-4 years experience in external communications/media relations or journalism, preferably in a campaign, government or advocacy setting. Experience writing communications materials, including statements, press releases and/or talking points. Experience pitching reporters preferred. Experience preparing principals for on-the-record interviews and events preferred. Experience working with reporters and media outlets staffed by and/or for people of color preferred.
- Skills: Exceptional communication skills, including strong writing skills and positive interactions with members of the media; ability to thrive in a collaborative team-centered environment; ability to prioritize and effectively manage tasks in a fast-paced work environment; strong organizational skills; demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Passionate about protecting the environment and communities impacted by climate change and environmental injustice.
- Conditions: Able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done; ability and willingness to travel up to 10% as needed. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line by January 17, 2020. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.