Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: National Press Secretary
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Location: Flexible (within the United States)
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: B
Salary Range (depending on experience): $52,676-$61,793
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Democracy for All (DFA) is one of the largest and most dynamic democracy programs in the nation and the largest program within the environmental movement. We operate in partnership with 30 state affiliates in the Conservation Voter Movement, which gives Democracy For All substantial capacity and geographic reach. LCV and many state league partners have prioritized increasing our efforts to protect and promote voting rights. These issues are central to the success of environmental priorities, and are, therefore, central to the success of the Conservation Voter Movement. Through our sister organization, LCV Education Fund, we have established a track record of running highly effective, research-based nonpartisan voter registration programs that are rooted in racial justice and worked in collaboration with the communities most impacted by environmental degradation. Since our first program in 2012, we have helped over 1.5 million individuals register to vote.
LCV is hiring a Communications Coordinator to serve as a key member of the Communications team coordinating communications for our Democracy for All program and other issues. This position is critical to the infrastructure of the Communications department and will be working with members of the Democracy for All team as well as state affiliates, and national and community-based partners. The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for fielding media inquiries, pitching reporters, speaking on the record, executing events, assisting with rapid response, writing message guidance, drafting press materials and other written products, and coordinating with outside partners, including state affiliates, and national and local coalition partners.
- Coordinate communications work related to the Democracy for All program.
- Write press releases, op-eds, message guidance, branding materials, talking points and other communications materials that are culturally competent and reflect the environmental justice priorities of the program, incorporating storytelling where appropriate.
- Pitch reporters, field incoming media inquiries, manage press lists and develop reporter relationships.
- Coordinate media activities, including press events, report releases, etc.
- Participate actively in applying a racial justice lens to drafting of all LCV communications, including press releases and statements.
- Cultivate relationships with the press, including reporters and media outlets staffed by and/or for people of color.
- Prepare and staff experts, organizers and volunteers for on the record interviews, events, and other forms of storytelling.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – Minimum of 2 years experience in external communications/media relations or journalism. Experience writing communications materials, including press releases, message guidance, branding materials and/or talking points. Preferred – Experience in an advocacy, community organizing or campaign setting. Experience pitching reporters. Experience preparing principals for on-the-record interviews and events. Experience working with reporters and media outlets staffed by and/or for people of color.
- Skills: Exceptional communication skills, including strong writing skills and positive interactions with members of the media; ability to thrive in a collaborative team-centered environment; ability to prioritize and effectively manage tasks in a fast-paced work environment; strong organizational skills; demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Ability to have respectful relationships with leaders and organizations representing grassroots, community-based organizations that integrate a culture of feedback and accountability.
- Cultural Competence: Passionate about protecting the environment and communities impacted by climate change and environmental injustice. Committed to confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system. An ability to apply a racial justice lens, and a variety of communities’ distinct perspectives to communications strategies. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understanding of the ways in which principles of racial justice and equity are vital to improving our democratic systems and environmental challenges effectively.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. The person in this position frequently communicates with partners and journalists and must be able to exchange accurate information. Able to work hours exceeding stated office hours, as needed; ability and willingness to travel up to 10% as needed. The location of this position is flexible. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. Must be able to accommodate east coast hours (9 am – 6 pm ET). Please note that most LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line by October 12, 2021. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.