Title: Communications Deputy Director, Chispa AZ
Department: State Capacity Building
Reports to: State Co-Director, Chispa AZ
Positions Reporting to this Position: Digital & Storytelling Organizer
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Union Position: No
Job Classification Level: M-I
Salary Range (depending on experience): $79,000-$108,000
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
LCV launched Chispa in 2014, a grassroots community organizing program to ensure the voice and power of Latinx communities influence the environmental policies and decisions that impact our health and environment. Currently, Chispa has programs in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Nevada and Texas.
LCV is hiring a Communications Deputy Director to join our Chispa Arizona, Phoenix-based team. The Communications Deputy Director will be responsible for elevating our program profile, establishing relationships with media, creating relatable and culturally competent environmental messaging, and amplifying our work and impact to local and national audiences. This position will be joining a team that is motivated by and invested in taking action in the fight against polluters and climate change, and making progress on promoting clean air, clean energy, clean water, access to public lands, and a free and fair democracy for all. The ideal candidate is a creative, innovative, ambitious, and skilled leader who is bilingual in English and Spanish, goal-driven, and experience in human impact storytelling, media relations, and movement building.
- Oversee Chispa AZ external and internal overall messaging and communications strategy.
- Build relations with English- and Spanish-language press to share and amplify Chispa AZ’s message.
- Pitch media on campaign-specific needs, perform follow-up calls with press after events, cultivate Spanish- and English-language press list.
- Draft statements, op-eds, press releases, quotes, blogs, and other materials related to Chispa AZ program and work. Work cross-departmentally with staff in the Communications and Legal departments to review and approve materials.
- Work with the Digital & Storytelling Organizer to amplify organizational campaign and advocacy goals, pro-climate justice messaging and educational material.
- Collaborate with the Chispa AZ staff on developing communications workshops for our community members so they can be active and empowered in the movement for environmental justice and community health.
- Gather quotes and stories from community speakers for inclusion in Chispa AZ materials.
- Coordinate media activities for Chispa AZ events, including assisting with logistical support and speaker preparation.
- Support membership messaging and strategy on multiple platforms to engage supporters and unique target audiences in the growing work and story of Chispa AZ.
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – At least 5 years experience in communications. Experience managing and supervising volunteers or staff. Successful track record of pitching press, developing relationships with media, and strong storytelling experience. Must be bilingual in English and Spanish and demonstrate cultural competence when messaging environmental priorities and movement issues. Preferred – Experience with Arizona communications and/or campaigns experience. Experience in website development. Experience using social media platforms to advance program goals, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Experience with speaking on-the-record to press. Experience developing, implementing and evaluating communications plans for short and long-term campaigns or programs.
- Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent organizational and time management, and supervisory skills, and the ability to delegate, prioritize, and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment. Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of Latinx communities in Arizona and advancing progressive issues and campaigns. Flexibility, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, cultural competence, and ability to juggle multiple tasks, solve problems, and set priorities in a fast-paced, high-performance environment. Detail-oriented, with good organizational skills and follow-through. Ability to work under own initiative, as well as part of a team. Creative and innovative thinker that considers themselves a problem-solver and resourceful during challenging or new situations.
- Cultural Competence: Must share a commitment to advancing racial justice and equity and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities’ of color engagement in the environmental movement. Familiarity with Arizona and in-state community preferred.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. The person in this position frequently communicates with journalists and must be able to exchange accurate information. This position is based in Phoenix, Arizona. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. Ability to travel, potentially up to 10% of time, and work some evenings and weekends, as needed. Position requires a valid Arizona driver’s license and access to reliable transportation. Please note that most LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Chispa AZ Communications Deputy Director” in the subject line by November 28, 2021. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.