Title: Political Affairs Manager
Department: Government Affairs
Reports to: Vice President, Political Affairs
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Location: Washington, DC
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: D
Salary Range (depending on experience): $68,884-$84,079
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring a Political Affairs Manager who will work closely with the Vice President, Political Affairs to implement our coordinated electoral programs and support the efforts of our government affairs team to build relationships with candidates and elected officials, including candidate endorsements, PAC management, candidate fundraising and the member mobilization program. The Political Affairs Manager will help interview candidates, write endorsement proposals, manage PAC contributions of over $1 million per cycle, work cross-departmentally as well as with external candidate campaign staff to publicly announce endorsements of candidates for federal office across the country and provide other support for our endorsed candidates, and lift up the importance of climate and environmental justice in the election and highlight the critical role of LCV in the elections. This role is an excellent opportunity for someone who is passionate about politics, racial justice and environmental advocacy.
- Conduct research projects on policy issues as well as vote history and policy positions of Members of Congress and candidates, including on policies around climate, clean water, public lands, environmental justice, racial justice and equity, democracy and other priority issues.
- Schedule and help lead meetings with candidates, coalition partners, and other key stakeholders. Help communicate LCV’s policy priorities, commitment to racial justice and equity, electoral programs and other programs to candidates and other stakeholders.
- Manage the preparation of candidate endorsement materials, including proposals, press materials and social media, helping ensure they reflect LCV’s commitment to racial justice and equity.
- Track endorsed candidates’ activities and statements on climate, environmental justice and other priority issues.
- Help manage PAC budget, including expenses, and coordinate disbursement of PAC funds to candidates, including in-kind contributions, and communicate with campaigns about PAC events and compliance issues.
- Support LCV’s member mobilization program and track LCV membership communication expenditures reported to the FEC.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – Minimum of 4 years of experience in issue-based or political campaigns. Preferred – Experience with compliance reporting and/or tracking PAC budgets.
- Skills: Required – Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills. Must be well-organized; hard-working; thorough and detail-oriented; able to manage multiple-tasks at once and work across departments to achieve shared goals. Should thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment; exhibit a professional demeanor; able to maintain confidentiality; demonstrated relationship building skills; demonstrated commitment to racial justice and equity; and demonstrated interest in issue and electoral campaigns. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive. Preferred – Familiarity with the IRS and FEC rules regarding 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and PACs.
- Cultural Competence: Must share a commitment to advancing racial justice and equity and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities’ of color engagement in the environmental movement. Commitment to social change.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. The person in this position frequently communicates with partners and elected representatives and must be able to exchange accurate information. This position is based in Washington, DC. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. Travel will be required for meetings with elected officials and their staff, and related events, as well as staff retreats and conferences as needed. Please note that most LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Political Affairs Manager” in the subject line by September 20, 2021. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.