Title: Prospect Research Associate
Reports to: Director of Prospect Research and Portfolio Management
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: A
Salary Range (depending on experience): $47,000 – $55,000
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country. We are unmatched in our ability to ensure meaningful action on our key issues. We aim to bring people and communities together across racial, geographic, political, religious, economic and other differences toward collective goals instead of dividing us from one another.
LCV is hiring a Prospect Research Associate to enhance our individual and institutional major gifts fundraising program. The Prospect Research Associate is primarily responsible for creating full length donor briefings, preparing donor research summaries, supporting the research team’s Racial Justice and Equity goals, and ensuring accuracy of database records. This position is a great opportunity for a self-motivated, curious, analytical individual to build a career in fundraising with a prominent environmental issue advocacy organization.
- Conduct thorough research of public records, databases, media, internet, and proprietary resources to identify information regarding existing and prospective donors.
- Produce coherent briefing documents (written reports) summarizing research conclusions for LCV’s President, Executive staff, and the Major Gifts team prior to donor contact such as meetings and events.
- Develop a broad awareness of LCV and LCVEF’s programs to support the identification of individuals and institutions whose philanthropic interests align with our work.
- Work with the Director of Prospect Research and Portfolio Management to increase the racial diversity of each Major Gift Officer’s portfolio and continue to identify new prospective donors of color.
- Compare data from various sources to identify meaningful patterns. Show initiative in identifying new sources of information as they become necessary and/or available.
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date familiarity with top existing and prospective donors; proactively share new information when identified.
- Take ownership of data accuracy and integrity in the donor database.
- Support the maintenance of portfolios and outreach lists used by LCV’s president and the Major Gifts Team. Support preparation for prospect and portfolio review meetings.
- Contribute to organizational and department efforts to infuse racial justice and equity into all aspects of our work, including our fundraising.
- Create relationship maps and find connections between our universe and potential donors and document them in the database.
- Develop and implement a strategy and process for a regular and consistent refresh of contact information for prospects to ensure access to donors is as easy and streamlined as possible for major gifts officers.
- Assist with research and projects for the Institutional Giving team.
- Set up and manage news alerts for the Principal and Major Gifting Teams.
- Assist the Director of Prospect Research and Portfolio Management with creating more racially diverse portfolios and identifying potential avenues to further engaging donors of color.
- Maintain and update the Prospect Research and Portfolio Management manual.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience:
- Required – Must have at least 1 year of work experience in administrative support; experience with Microsoft Excel; experience with online research and understanding of reliable sources. Experience using a database.
- Preferred – Experience using Salesforce. Experience using Wrike, Asana, or a similar project management software. Experience with one or a combination of the following: LexisNexis, ResearchPoint, Spokeo, iWave, or other prospecting or research software. Experience at a political or environmental organization. Experience looking up contact info, writing biographies, or confirming identities.
- Required – Strong attention to detail and the ability to recognize patterns and anomalies. Strong synthesis and writing skills. Should be able to multitask, be flexible enough to shift priorities based on urgent needs, the confidence to ask for help when needed, and have the ability to clearly communicate and support relevant conclusions drawn from the analysis and synthesis of disparate data sources. The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Preferred – Advanced Excel skills, including understanding of dependent formulas, pivot tables, and other complex spreadsheet functions.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understands how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic and social inequality in the U.S. and has a passion for working to dismantle these systems.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. The location of this position is flexible. Travel will be required a few times per year for staff retreats and conferences. Please note that all LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Prospect Research Associate” in the subject line by May 27, 2021. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.