Title: Research Director
Reports to: National Campaigns Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: E
Salary Range (depending on experience): $79,000 – $96,000
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country.
LCV is hiring a Research Director who will lead background and investigative research projects on environmental and environmental justice issues and the records of congressional incumbents and other candidates in support of LCV’s issue organizing, advocacy and electoral campaigns. This role is highly collaborative, working cross-departmentally with key external programs and compliance teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced researcher, project manager and creative strategic thinker who will center racial justice and equity in our issue advocacy and electoral work.
- Conduct research in collaboration with the Campaigns, Communications, Government Affairs and Community & Civic Engagement departments, including but not limited to research on: environmental and democracy issues, climate and environmental justice, anti-environmental trade associations, companies/corporations, NGOs, and SuperPACS; and decision makers’ and candidates’ records.
- Fact-check campaign materials, including production of documentation for ads, mail, and other communications. Collaborate with Campaigns, Government Affairs, Legal, Community & Civic Engagement and Communications departments to ensure accuracy of materials.
- Working with legal and compliance teams to ensure all materials meet legal and organizational standards.
- Work with state leagues on issue advocacy and electoral campaigns in the states, looking for opportunities to use research to advance racial justice and equity.
- Fact-check communications produced by the Communications and Membership and Online Engagement departments as needed.
- Research and draft reports on environmental and democracy issues and other topics for use in organizing, legislative, issue and/or electoral campaigns and applying a racial justice and equity lens to those reports.
- Produce materials for rapid response for use in organizing, issue advocacy and electoral campaigns.
- Manage any research projects that involve outside consultants, including hiring consultants and overseeing their work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – At least five to seven years, or two electoral cycles, experience conducting candidate and/or issue research, or other electoral-related research experience.
- Skills: Strong research skills; thorough and detail-oriented; excellent oral and written communications; creative and proactive in identifying research opportunities; works well in a fast-paced environment and able to multi-task and meet deadlines without sacrificing quality of work; proficient in utilizing LexisNexis and other data sources; understanding of environmental issues and their potential political saliency helpful.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive and anti-racist organizational culture.
- Conditions: Must be willing and able to occasionally work beyond scheduled office hours as needed. The location of this position is flexible. Please note that all LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Research Director” in the subject line by January 29, 2021. No phone calls, please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable, and inclusive workplace.