Title: Research Director
Reports to: Senior National Campaigns Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Location: Flexible (within the United States)
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: E
Salary Range (depending on experience): $80,027-$97,248
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring a Research Director who will lead background and investigative research projects on environmental and environmental justice issues and the records of congressional incumbents and other candidates in support of LCV’s issue organizing, advocacy and electoral campaigns. This role is highly collaborative, working cross-departmentally with key external programs and compliance teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced researcher, project manager and creative strategic thinker who will center racial justice and equity in our issue advocacy and electoral work. The ideal candidate is also an experienced and skilled supervisor, as the research team will be growing in 2022.
- Conduct research in collaboration with the Campaigns, Communications, Government Affairs and Community & Civic Engagement departments, including but not limited to research on: environmental and democracy issues, climate and environmental justice, anti-environmental trade associations, companies/corporations, NGOs, and SuperPACS; and decision makers’ and candidates’ records.
- Fact-check campaign materials, including production of documentation for ads, mail, and other communications. Collaborate with Campaigns, Government Affairs, Legal, Community & Civic Engagement and Communications departments to ensure accuracy of materials.
- Work with legal and compliance teams to ensure all materials meet legal and organizational standards.
- Work with state leagues on issue advocacy and electoral campaigns in the states, looking for opportunities to use research to advance racial justice and equity.
- Fact-check communications produced by the Communications and Development departments as needed.
- Research and draft reports on environmental and democracy issues and other topics for use in organizing, legislative, issue and/or electoral campaigns and applying a racial justice and equity lens to those reports.
- Produce materials for rapid response for use in organizing, issue advocacy and electoral campaigns.
- Manage any research projects that involve outside consultants, including hiring consultants and overseeing their work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – At least five years, or two electoral cycles, experience conducting candidate and/or issue research, or other electoral-related research experience. Preferred – Experience supervising staff and/or consultants.
- Skills: Strong research skills; thorough and detail-oriented; excellent oral and written communications; creative and proactive in identifying research opportunities; works well in a quickly changing environment and able to multitask and meet deadlines without sacrificing quality of work; proficient in utilizing LexisNexis and other data sources; understanding of environmental issues and their potential political saliency helpful.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive and anti-racist organizational culture.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. The person in this position frequently communicates with partners and must be able to exchange accurate information. Must be willing and able to occasionally work beyond scheduled office hours as needed. The location of this position is flexible. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. Please note that most LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Research Director” in the subject line by January 23, 2022. No phone calls, please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.