Title: Vice President, Membership & Direct Response Fundraising
Reports: To: Senior Vice President of Development
Positions Reporting to This Position: Director of Monthly Giving and Online Engagement, Digital Marketing Coordinator
Union Position: No
Job Classification Level: M-IV
Salary Range (depending on experience): $125,000-$170,000
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring a Vice President of Membership & Direct Response Fundraising who will design and direct the organization’s efforts to significantly expand, engage, and diversify our base of grassroots funders and activists. The Vice President of Membership & Direct Response Fundraising is responsible for the planning, management, development and growth of the grassroots file and budget across all channels. The membership and direct response fundraising team will be growing in 2021 and 2022.
The ideal candidate is a creative, experienced marketer who is a skilled leader in both program and staff development and committed to centering racial justice and equity in our work. LCV staff are mission driven, motivated, and strive to lead with our values of accountability, anti-racism, community, innovation, learning, and sustainability.
- Lead the development of the strategies, structure, and operating systems to achieve short- and long-term direct response fundraising and advocacy program goals at LCV.
- Design and consistently improve the member experience, ensuring strong donor acknowledgement, engagement, and recognition processes and activities that ultimately moves them into personal relationship-based development efforts.
- Ensure that LCV’s brand and overall marketing and communications strategy is used consistently and includes a racial justice and equity lens.
- Develop a significantly more racially and generationally diverse membership base. Create a strategic and coordinated fundraising plan and schedule, centered on racial justice and equity, for both online and offline communications.
- Collaborate across the fundraising team to ensure we are implementing strategies that move activists and grassroots donors up the fundraising ladder.
- Through careful analytics and reporting, ensure the program maximizes revenue and return on investment.
- Lead the growth marketing strategy and execution of a well-established, but constantly evolving monthly giving program, ensuring the program’s budgetary goals are accurately established and met.
- Build and develop a diverse, skilled team of staff and outside vendors to ensure timely and accurate campaign execution.
- Work with LCV program, development and communications managers to develop, coordinate and lead the engagement of LCV members in advocacy.
- Serve as the primary lead on the direct marketing program’s budgeting process, monitoring program revenue and expenses, analyzing and interpreting program results to consistently innovate and improve performance.
- Improve segmentation and messaging to create a personal and positive experience for donors and activists through email, informed by analytics (e.g., predictive modeling, social media data mining).
- Support preparation of annual revenue and expense targets and manage spending to stay within budget.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – Minimum of ten years experience in direct marketing. Experience leading strategy and execution of a mid-large scale, multi-channel, direct response fundraising operation. Must have demonstrated supervisory experience successfully managing high performing teams. Experience leading overall strategy of a robust direct marking program as well as day to day implementation of managing a complex direct marketing program. Experience utilizing analytics, data segmentation and reporting to leverage and maximize growth including upgrades and lapsed strategies. Preferred – Issue advocacy and/or electoral campaign experience. Experience working with a national organization who has state affiliates or chapters.
- Skills: Ability to lead on issues of racial justice and equity. Proven leadership skills and the ability to work in a dynamic, high-pressure and often fast paced environment- balancing input while reacting quickly and efficiently- demonstrated ability to work well with tight deadlines while handling multiple assignments. Track record utilizing innovative strategies to dramatically grow membership and maximize fundraising efforts. Proven management skills and ability to foster professional development of staff. Senior leadership track record of working across all program areas to develop, coordinate and help lead messaging, volunteer recruitment and engagement for the organization. Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with different personalities and balance, sometimes competing, internal constituencies. Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives. Strong vendor management and negotiation including strong interpersonal relationships and communications.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understands how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic and social inequality in the US and has a passion for working to dismantle these systems. Interest in electoral politics and understanding of how the electoral landscape affects policy advocacy.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. The location of this position is flexible. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. Must be able to accommodate east coast hours (9 am – 6 pm ET) and travel for staff retreats, conferences and trainings as needed. Please note that most LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “VP, Membership & Direct Response Fundraising” in the subject line no later than November 28, 2021. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact email@example.com.