Title: Regional Campaigns Director
Reports to: Vice President, Paid Communications and Elections
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Location: Flexible (the employee may decide whether to work remotely and/or from an LCV office)
Travel Requirements: Up to 15%
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: E
Salary Range (depending on experience): $86,557 – $105,183
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring a Regional Campaigns Director to support our issue advocacy and electoral campaigns. The Regional Campaigns Director will manage programs for approximately 16 states in coordination with state LCV partners and national allies, in consultation with the Vice President for Paid Communications and Elections and working closely with a second Regional Campaigns Director. The ideal candidate will be able to implement federal program strategy and collaborate with state LCV partners on state or local priorities, while centering racial justice and equity, with the goal of building a stronger Conservation Voter Movement (CVM) that includes federal, state and local wins.
- Develop and execute plans for federal independent expenditure campaigns, issue campaigns including clean energy and climate change, federal and state level accountability projects, and ballot initiative engagement, collaborating as appropriate with program staff on the Government Affairs and Community & Civic Engagement teams as well as state LCV partners to ensure our collective programs are strategically aligned, planned and executed.
- Work with assigned set of state affiliates to identify key races and develop cutting edge, focused and winning campaign plans at the state and local level.
- Manage budgets for accountability programs as well as federal and state-level electoral work.
- Work with departmental staff to achieve annual racial justice and equity goals, including, but not limited to, expanding and deepening our partnerships with organizations, vendors and coalitions led by people of color and elevating justice and equity in all of our work.
- Ensure timely and accurate compliance and reporting of all LCV electoral activities in collaboration with Legal and Finance departments.
- Support the grants program awarded to state LCV affiliates.
- Oversee the development and approval of select federal campaign materials, including television and radio ads, direct mail, and phone scripts, ensuring that materials are culturally competent and center racial justice and equity.
- Work closely with state LCV affiliates to identify partnership opportunities at the state and federal level.
- Work with the Clean Energy For All (CEFA) team, dedicated to advancing clean energy policies at the state level, to evaluate and support state legislative policy campaigns.
- Identify opportunities to amplify electoral and policy campaigns from our LCV affiliates and support their efforts to build political power.
- Review and author memos for internal and external audiences. Develop and maintain tracking documents to catalog LCV’s investments.
- Support efforts to raise funds for non-federal candidates on Give Green, working closely with staff from Give Green, state affiliates, NRDC and other partners.
- Support Campaigns and Development department staff in fundraising for electoral and other programs to LCV Victory Fund and other entities.
- Communicate with potential funders about LCV Victory Fund and state affiliate programs, in consultation with SVP of Campaigns and Vice President, Paid Communications and Elections.
- Travel up to 15% of the time for staff retreats, conferences, and professional development opportunities, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – At least five years of issue and/or electoral campaign experience, particularly with message development, campaign plans, paid media and voter contact. Experience drafting political plans, including explicit and culturally competent engagement of people of color and young voters. Experience developing plans with consultants and external partners.
- Preferred – Experience managing budgets. Experience working with a national organization who has state affiliates or chapters. Experience working with state and/or local level campaigns and/or organizations. Experience working with multiple coalition partners. Experience with independent expenditure work.
- Skills: Proven ability to support strategic and creative issue and/or electoral campaigns. Able to execute voter persuasion, engagement and contact plans in collaboration with the campaigns team. Sound political judgment. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Highly collaborative. Excellent listener. Instinctually inclined to engage others while also being able to successfully drive a project to a timely conclusion. Passionate about protecting the environment and communities impacted by climate change and environmental injustice. Ability to connect electoral strategy to non-electoral campaign work. Values team building. Works well in a fast-paced environment and able to multitask without sacrificing quality of work. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Proven track record of successfully working across lines of race, ethnicity, language, class, gender and other identities and experiences.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understands how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic and social inequality in the U.S. and has a passion for working to dismantle these systems. Interest in electoral politics and understanding of how the electoral landscape affects policy advocacy.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. LCV requires all employees working from our offices or participating in in-person meetings or events to be fully up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
LCV offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes vacation, sick and parental leave, personal days, paid holidays, health insurance (two plan options for staff to choose from), dental and vision insurance, life and disability insurance (short- and long-term), Flexible Spending Account, 401(k) retirement plan with company matching contribution, commuter benefits program, sabbatical, and student loan assistance.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Regional Campaigns Director” in the subject line by November 21, 2023. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.