Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports To: SVP Communications
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
LCV is hiring a Communications Coordinator in Washington, DC to serve as a key member of the media relations and overall communications team. The communications coordinator will be responsible for fielding media inquiries, pitching, executing media events, writing media materials as well as maintaining systems for tracking and presenting communications metrics and administration of vendor relationships.
• Writes press releases, Op-Eds, background material and blog posts.
• Makes pitch calls to reporters and fields incoming inquiries.
• Coordinates media activities on priority campaigns, including press events, report releases, etc.
• Participates actively in applying a racial justice lens to drafting of all LCV communications.
• Builds and maintain systems for tracking and presenting communications metrics.
• Manages subscriptions and vendor relationships for the Communications Department.
• Work experience: 1-2 years experience in external communications/media relations or journalism, preferably in a campaign, government or advocacy setting.
• Skills: Exceptional communication skills, including strong writing skills; ability to thrive in a collaborative team-centered environment; ability to prioritize and effectively manage tasks in a fast paced work environment; strong organizational skills; a demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done; ability and willingness to travel. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line by Friday, February 24, 2017. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace