Title: Data & Targeting Director
Reports To: VP, Campaigns
Positions Reporting To This Position: Data & Targeting Associate
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The Data and Targeting Department makes decisions about which voters and members of the general public are likely to be engaged on environmental issues, and maintains voter file information that permits the organization to educate the public and motivate supporters to become active civic participants in an efficient manner. This position will be housed in the Campaigns Department but will work across the entire organization as well as state LCVs to develop and oversee data and targeting related activities on issues and elections. We are seeking a strategic thinker who can help LCV and its sister organization, the League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (LCVEF), utilize data and analytics to engage environmentally-minded citizens across the country and build support for environmental priorities.
• Generate, manage and track voter, membership and volunteer lists for programs, including mailings, online outreach, canvasses and phones, in a fast-paced campaign setting.
• Conduct voter targeting and analysis with an emphasis on the application of demographic and geographic factors.
• Manage contracts and relationships with voter file, data, analytics and technology vendors, and serve as a liaison to other organizations that LCV & LCVEF work closely with on data-related issues.
• Contribute to organizational and department efforts to infuse racial justice and equity into our advocacy and electoral programs by targeting racially diverse groups of people.
• Explore and devise opportunities to test and measure the impact of all of our programs, including working closely with entities such as the Analyst Institute and leading academics.
• Work with partner groups to identify opportunities for collaboration and grow relationship with them.
• Work across departments to synchronize member and activist data.
• Assist state LCVs with integrating data best practices into their programs, including providing guidance with database structure, data syncs across databases and training state LCV staff.
• Put together regular program reports.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Work experience: At least five years of experience on either issue or electoral campaigns focused on voter contact, data management, experimentation and targeting. Must have experience with utilizing modeling in a campaign setting.
• Skills: Strong data management skills; able to handle multiple projects simultaneously; proficient with VAN, Catalist Q & M tools and other data management tools; proficiency with SQL or other similar languages; understanding of and commitment to testing and running metric-based programs; strong understanding of strategic use of data; ability to collaborate well with others; works well in a fast-paced environment and able to multi-task without sacrificing quality of work; ability to communicate effectively about complex topics; ability to translate analysis into a digestible and actionable format; understanding of environmental issues and their potential to engage the public a plus; familiar with Tableau.
• Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done. This position is based in Washington, D.C. Funding for this position exists through May 1, 2019.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Data & Targeting Director” in the subject line by June 7, 2017. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace