Title: Director of Development Partnerships
Reports To: Senior Director of Development Partnerships
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national priorities. To secure the environmental future of our planet, LCV’s mission is to advocate for sound environmental policies, to elect pro-environment candidates who will adopt and implement such policies, to hold our elected leaders accountable and to provide our state affiliates with the resources and tools to accomplish and sustain their mission.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
LCV is looking for a Director of Development Partnerships to join our fundraising efforts and help us meet our ambitious revenue and program goals. The LCV Development Department engages major donors for the LCV family of organizations including LCV, LCV Action Fund, LCV Victory Fund, and LCV Education Fund and raises money for political candidates through LCV Action Fund’s GiveGreen bundling program.
The Director of Development Partnerships will join an extremely skilled, hard-working and growing development team, building the organization’s budget, power, and effectiveness. This position is responsible for raising funds from individual and small foundation donors at four-, five-, and six-figure levels. This includes strategically identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors. The Director of Development Partnerships will be assigned a region to cover and will support their own work as well as the development work of our President and key senior staff and board members within their assigned region. The Director of Development Partnership also works closely with our state LCV partners to raise funds as part of a collaborative fundraising structure. This position will report to the Senior Director of Development Partnerships.
• Manage and develop a portfolio of up to 200 current, lapsed and prospective donors, deepening relationships in person, over the phone, and in writing.
• Meet with donors and prospects nationally. It is expected that the Director of Development Partnerships will hold approximately 120 meetings annually with prospective donors. Many of these will be in conjunction with our state LCV partners.
• Develop and support cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for LCV’s president and other key staff and board members.
• Recruit donors and prospects to a variety of LCV fundraising and cultivation events
• Contribute to organizational and department efforts to infuse racial justice and equity into all aspects of our work, including our fundraising
• Write persuasive and personalized emails, letters and proposals to donors and prospects including in-depth descriptions of LCVs programs and role.
• Participate in high-level planning for LCV to help set both fundraising and programmatic goals.
• Work collaboratively with development, communications, and program staff, along with state LCV partners, to develop compelling materials and talking points to maximize fundraising results.
• Engage donors as advocates by recruiting them to join calls and meetings and encouraging their own lobbying on particular issues.
• Ensure donor portfolio records are current with all necessary and pertinent information, and input contacts and actions into database in a timely manner.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Work Experience: 4+ years of experience in fundraising or organizing, including a successful track record of closing gifts.
• Skills: Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, self-motivation, strong judgment, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Must be creative, proactive, disciplined, and able to think strategically. An active and curious listener with a knack for building relationships and the ability to speak with authority as an organizational representative. Well organized and detail-oriented. Experience writing persuasive materials. Knowledge of donor databases and Salesforce experience would be a plus.
• Capabilities: Willingness to travel. Domestic travel is required with approximately 25-30% of working days on the road. Motivated to meet goals, produce results, and exceed expectations, and enthusiastic about accountability. Politically savvy with an eagerness for continued learning. Passionate about protecting the environment. Professional, honest, and trustworthy; capable of handling confidential information with the utmost discretion. Optimism and a proven interest in politics and meaningful social change.
• Cultural Competence: Shares LCVs commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Work Conditions: Must be willing and able to work occasional overtime as needed. Preference given to candidates who are based in the DC area and can work out of the LCV DC office.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Director of Development Partnerships” in the subject line by August 11, 2017. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace