Title: Director of Digital Strategy
Reports To: Senior Vice President of Membership and Online Engagement
Positions Reporting To This Position: Digital Campaigns Manager, Associate Digital Campaigns Manager, CHISPA, and Digital Advertising Coordinator
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
LCV is seeking a Director of Digital Strategy to develop, recommend, and execute a strategy for LCV’s digital communications. Over the last three years, LCV’s online activist network has more than doubled. This position is charged with engaging LCV members online via e-mail, social media, and mobile, overseeing list growth and member acquisition, supporting the work of state affiliates online, and implementing a robust program to turn online activists into offline volunteers and leaders within their own communities.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with previous digital strategy and management experience who wants to be a part of an innovative team that runs aggressive online fundraising and advocacy campaigns to promote environmental policies and win important elections.
Work with the Membership and Online Engagement Team to build and mobilize LCV’s membership to affect meaningful change. Specific responsibilities include:
• Manage digital staff and lead the department in designing creative and effective online advocacy campaigns to achieve ambitious membership mobilization and fundraising goals.
• Edit and approve email, online advertising, and social media copy and write copy for key campaigns; direct the overall strategy and content of LCV’s online communications.
• Oversee quality control on email setups and approve content for LCV websites.
• Work closely with other LCV departments, particularly Government Affairs and Campaigns, to field and implement digital requests as it relates to the organization’s policy and electoral goals; generate creative new ways to mobilize LCV’s online membership to influence policymakers, and elect pro-environment candidates.
• Work with the Director of Online Systems and the SVP, Membership and Online Engagement, to maintain an email calendar that promotes a healthy list with an appropriate mix of online advocacy, fundraising, and membership affinity.
• Consult with LCV state league partners and assist with trainings to impart effective strategies for online advocacy, fundraising, and membership building, support their campaigns and facilitate work on state-based environmental issues.
• Coordinate with LCV’s Climate Action field teams and CHISPA community organizing programs to build, engage, and convert online activists into offline volunteers in targeted states .
• Participates actively in applying a racial justice lens to all LCV online communications with an increased emphasis on member education on issues, environmental or otherwise, where communities of color are disproportionately impacted.
• Oversee the work of the Digital Advertising Coordinator to design paid advertising strategies to build the LCV email list and social networks; oversee efforts to increase sharing and organic growth and facilitate online advertising for electoral projects.
• Work with staff throughout the organization to review and approve requests for emails, social media, and other online amplification.
• Work experience: 5-10 years of demonstrable success in online organizing, email advocacy, and/or online fundraising. Experience in a political context, preferably in a progressive or environmental organization strongly preferred. Experience managing and directing staff strongly preferred.
• Skills: Excellent oral and written communications skills with strong management and editing skills required; proven ability to handle multiple projects; meet deadlines, and work in a fast pace environment with great attention to detail. Experience using social media and online tools to engage and mobile the public; initiative, energy, and judgment; critical thinking skills; a sense of teamwork and community; highly organized and interest in environmental issues or electoral work desirable. Must have a commitment to metrics and tracking progress; experience with CRM, CMS, and HTML coding skills preferred. Spanish language skills a plus.
• Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Conditions: Able to work overtime as needed to fulfill mission. Ability and willingness to travel. The position is currently based in D.C., but exceptional candidates from outside of the area are also welcome to apply.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Director of Digital Strategy” in the subject line by June 19. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace