Title: Government Affairs Assistant
Status: Non Exempt
Reports To: Director, PAC & Advocacy Partnerships
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The Government Affairs Assistant works closely with the Director, PAC & Advocacy Partnerships and the Senior Vice President, Government Affairs to ensure that the Policy & Lobbying department and LCV Action Fund, our federal political action committee, both run effectively and efficiently.
• Conduct research projects on policy issues as well as vote history and policy positions of Members of Congress and candidates.
• Assist with the production of the National Environmental Scorecard and manage the recent votes section of the online scorecard.
• Schedule Hill and Administration meetings.
• Conduct outreach to assigned Hill offices ahead of key votes.
• Provide input and assistance to organization’s internal and external efforts to become a more racially just organization.
• Coordinate logistics of LCV’s Annual Lobby Day.
• Attend coalition, Hill, and Administration briefings and meetings.
• Track PAC expenses & coordinate disbursement of PAC funds to candidates, including in-kind contributions, and communicate with campaigns about PAC events and compliance issues.
• Track LCV membership communication expenditures reported to the FEC.
• Provide general administrative support to SVP, Government Affairs Department.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Work experience: At least one year experience in administrative, campaign, or related work.
• Skills: Well-organized; hard-working; thorough & detail-oriented; able to manage multiple tasks at once and work across departments to achieve shared goals; thrives in a fast-paced campaign environment; enjoys interacting with elected officials and has a professional demeanor; can work well with people of diverse backgrounds; interested in issue and electoral campaigns.
• Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Conditions: The position is based in Washington, DC.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Government Affairs Assistant” in the subject line by June 26, 2017. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace