Title: Lead Organizer, Chispa NV
Reports To: Chispa Nevada Director
Positions Reporting To This Position: Community Organizers, Chispa NV
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
As part of our long-term commitment to engage new constituencies and to diversify the environmental movement, the League of Conservation Voters has launched Chispa Nevada. Primarily through grassroots community organizing programs, Chispa is fostering strong local and national Latino leadership in the fight against climate change.
The Lead Organizer will oversee the organizing team that builds the community power of Latino families in the Clark County and Reno area to be part of the solutions to pollution and climate change and to promote clean air, clean water and clean energy. We are looking for a creative, motivated leadership-level organizer who is goal-driven and experienced in movement building.
• Hire, train and manage a successful, motivated organizing team and ensure they have the resources, plans and tools needed to meet short and long-term goals and to take a leadership role in the program.
• Work closely with the Chispa NV director to develop, implement and evaluate issue organizing campaigns that successfully recruit volunteers, build grassroots leaders and gets the attention of decisions makers and media.
• Track organizing work meticulously in VAN including developing and monitoring reports on volunteer recruitment and leadership development
• Develop relationships and partnerships with Latino organizations, leaders and policymakers.
• Develop and test effective and new organizing and mobilizing strategies and tools as part of the Chispa network and its efforts to move communities and leaders.
• Collaborate with Chispa Communications team to create media opportunities and increase coverage of the program and campaigns.
• Work experience: Minimum 3 years mid-level or leadership experience in grassroots community, issue or labor organizing programs. Experience in programs that include volunteer outreach, training volunteers, monitoring goals, developing strategies and tactics, and forming alliances with other groups. Preference will be given to those who have Nevada experience or ties.
• Skills: Excellent spoken and written English & Spanish language skills are required. Experience with VAN and Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is required. Must be enthusiastically committed to amplifying the voice and leadership of Latino communities in Nevada, have excellent organizational and time management skills including campaign planning and strategy development, ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment, and be a creative problem-solver who is resourceful in challenging or new situations.
• Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Conditions: Position requires the ability to travel and to work some evenings and weekends. The position will be based in Las Vegas, NV and is a full-time salaried position that includes a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Chispa Nevada Lead Organizer” in the subject line by July 15, 2017. No calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive and Equitable Workplace