Title: Prospect Research Associate
Reports To: Prospect Research and Portfolio Manager
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The League of Conservation Voters is seeking a Prospect Research Associate to enhance our individual and institutional major gifts fundraising program. The Prospect Research Associate is primarily responsible for preparing donor research summaries, tracking and sharing progress towards development goals, and ensuring accuracy of database records. This position provides the opportunity for a self-motivated, curious, analytical individual to build a career in fundraising with a prominent environmental and political organization. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
• Conduct thorough research of public records, databases, media, internet, and proprietary resources to identify information regarding existing and prospective donors to LCV and its sister organizations.
• Produce coherent briefing documents summarizing research conclusions for LCV’s President, Executive staff, and the Major Gifts team prior to donor contact such as meetings, events, and phone calls.
• Develop a broad awareness of LCV and LCVEF’s programs to support the identification of individuals and institutions whose philanthropic interests align with LCV entities’ work.
• Proactively identify ways to highlight the organization’s racial justice commitment to key stakeholders.
• Compare data from various sources to identify meaningful patterns. Show initiative in identifying new sources of information as they become necessary and/or available.
• Develop and maintain an up-to-date familiarity with top existing and prospective donors; proactively share new information when identified.
• Take ownership of data accuracy and integrity in the donor database. Act as a department resource regarding accessibility, layout, and recording of information in the database.
• Prepare regular reports with timely information on progress towards defined goals.
• Support the maintenance of portfolios and outreach lists used by LCV’s president and the Major Gifts Team. Support preparation for prospect and portfolio review meetings.
• Contribute to organizational and department efforts to infuse racial justice and equity into all aspects of our work, including our fundraising.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Work Experience: Must have at least 1+ years of work experience; experience with Microsoft Excel (ideally with understanding of dependent formulas, pivot tables, and VBA); qualitative online research with an understanding of search syntax best practices and source reliability, and qualitative research. Database experience and experience with online research tools such as LexisNexis, iWave Prospect Research Online, FoundationSearch, etc). Experience with Salesforce reporting or writing basic SQL queries ideal. Experience at a political organization also helpful.
• Skills: Strong writing skills are required. Must have strong attention to detail and the ability to recognize patterns and anomalies. Should be able to multi-task, be flexible enough to shift priorities based on urgent needs, the confidence to ask for help when needed, and the ability to clearly communicate and support relevant conclusions drawn from the analysis and synthesis of disparate data sources.
• Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Conditions: Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and successfully meet deadlines.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Prospect Research Associate” in the subject line by July 26, 2017. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace