Title: Research Director
Reports To: National Campaigns Director
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The Research Director will work with the Campaigns and Policy and Lobbying departments to undertake and oversee background and investigative research projects on environmental issues and the records of congressional incumbents and other candidates.
• Conduct research in collaboration with the Campaigns, Communications, Policy & Lobbying and Community & Civic Engagement departments, including research on: environmental and democracy issues, anti-environmental trade associations, NGOs, and SuperPACS; and decision makers’ and candidates’ records.
• Fact-check all campaign materials, including production of documentation for ads, mail, and other communications. Collaborate with Campaigns, Policy & Lobbying, Legal, Community & Civic Engagement and Communications departments to ensure accuracy of all materials.
• Work with national staff and state leagues on issue and electoral campaigns in the states.
• Fact-check communications produced by the Communications and Membership and Online Engagement department.
• Contribute to organizational and department efforts to infuse racial justice and equity into all aspects of our work.
• Research and draft reports on environmental and democracy issues and other topics for use in legislative, issue and/or electoral campaigns.
• Produce materials for rapid response for use in issue and electoral campaigns.
• Manage any research projects that involve outside consultants including hiring consultants and overseeing their work, if any.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Work experience: At least five years experience conducting candidate and/or issue research, or other related research experience.
• Skills: Strong research skills; thorough and detail-oriented; excellent oral and written communications; creative and aggressive in pursuing potential opportunities; works well in a fast-paced environment and able to multi-task and meet deadlines without sacrificing quality of work; proficient in utilizing LexisNexis and other data sources, experience searching FEC reports and Energy Information Administration and Toxics Release Inventory data bases preferred; understanding of environmental issues and their potential political saliency helpful.
• Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Conditions: Must be willing and able to work occasional overtime as needed. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Research Director in the subject line by July 24, 2017. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace