Title: Senior Vice President, Campaigns
Reports To: President
Positions Reporting To This Position: VP Campaigns, National Campaigns Director, and State Electoral Campaigns Director
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The Senior Vice President (“SVP”) for Campaigns oversees LCV’s Campaigns Department, which is responsible for developing and implementing the organization’s overall strategy on political and public education programs that advance the organization’s goals and values. As an LCV Executive Team member, the SVP for Campaigns contributes to the successful operation of the entire organization. The SVP for Campaigns works closely with all Departments at LCV and with the Executive Directors of the 28 state affiliates to support their existing programs and to develop new programs and partnerships. The SVP for Campaigns oversees one of the largest electoral programs and one of the largest climate programs focused on grassroots organizing in the country.
The SVP for Campaigns is responsible for developing and maintaining a departmental culture that is inclusive, agile, collaborative, modern, transparent, and supportive of staff and partners. The ideal candidate will embrace that LCV has made diversity, equity, and inclusion a strategic priority and will lead the integration of this work throughout our national and state issue and electoral campaigns efforts. Although this position is based in Washington D.C., the SVP for Campaigns must have an interest and a desire to engage on issues at the federal and state level.
- Provides leadership and vision to the Campaigns Department, and supports the team in meeting the Department’s goals and upholding our values.
- Oversees the development of issue campaigns, particularly tied to climate change and LCV’s political plans, by the Campaigns Department staff.
- Works with the President and the Development Department in cultivating major donors and funders, and writes compelling program plans, memos, and proposals to build support for the organization’s campaign work among donors and internal and external stakeholders.
- Engages with the organization’s Board of Directors on campaign priorities, and staffs two Board Committees, including the Political and Campaign Committee, which oversees LCV’s electoral work.
- Supports the state affiliates’ campaign work and searches for strategic campaign opportunities that will strengthen the state affiliates.
- Builds strong partnerships with other institutions including environmental groups and other allied organizations.
- Oversees and manages the Department’s budget which is at least $18 million in 2017.
- Represents the organization to an array of groups including the political community, funders, press, and elected officials.
- Works closely with and supports the campaign-related needs of all parts of the organization to ensure that the Campaigns Department is well-integrated across the organization.
- Oversees LCV Education Fund’s global warming program, including our field programs and all message research.
Work experience: At least ten years campaign experience, preferably experience working on environmental campaigns; proven experience as an effective manager with interpersonal and communications skills to work effectively across difference and collaborate with a wide range of allies; strong preference for experience working closely with state-level organizations.
Skills: Strong leadership skills; proven ability to develop compelling programs and campaigns; successful experience leading and managing teams representing a rich mix of talent, experience, backgrounds, and perspectives; strong writing skills; effective interpersonal and communications skills; working knowledge of federal election laws; demonstrates initiative, including the ability to seize strategic opportunities; familiarity and interest in environmental issues desirable; works well in a fast-paced setting and able to meet deadlines without sacrificing quality of work;
Proven track record of successful recruitment, cultivation and retention of highly skilled staff and teams with a high level of racial and gender diversity.
Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done; ability and willingness to travel. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with SVP Campaigns in the subject line by February 21, 2017. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace