Title: Social Media Manager
Reports To: Director of Digital Strategy, Senior Digital Campaigns Manager in the interim
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
LCV is seeking a Social Media Manager to help oversee the organization’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram presence, with a focus on building and engaging LCV’s overall online community. This new position comes at an exciting time: LCV is currently revamping our entire social media presence.
The Social Media Manager will join a hard-working, skilled, and growing Membership & Online Engagement Department. The Social Media Manager will play an integral role in crafting LCV’s social media strategy, fine tuning its voice, and overall implementation. Primary goals include growing social networks to reach more supporters, mobilizing our audiences to take both online and offline action on pressing environmental issues, engaging members on local and national campaigns, and working to help elect pro-environment candidates. This is an excellent opportunity for a creative writer and social media expert to be a part of an innovative team that runs aggressive online campaigns to promote environmental policies and candidates.
- Manage LCV’s social media accounts to engage and grow our online community, including day-to-day execution.
- Write compelling, creative, engaging copy for all social media channels.
- Closely oversee a content calendar to ensure consistency and alignment in messaging across platforms.
- Help meet LCV’s ambitious social growth goals on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Analyze data and draw actionable insights, including regular audits.
- Identify creative campaign opportunities to mobilize LCV’s base and promote action on climate change, conservation, and environmental justice.
- Push LCV to explore new or under-used media and platforms. Work closely with LCV’s graphic designer to create visually compelling and shareable graphics.
- Participate actively in applying a racial justice lens to all LCV online communications with an increased emphasis on member education of issues, environmental or otherwise, where communities of color are disproportionately impacted.
- Work with the Policy and Lobbying team and the Congressional Champions program to create effective messaging on social to amplify LCV priorities in a relatable way.
- Work with LCV’s state affiliates and other partner organizations to support local and state-wide campaigns and conservation work.
- Work with National Field Team to lift up the work we’re doing on the ground.
- Work with LCV’s Latino outreach program, Chispa, to create consistent messaging across accounts.
- Engage supporters and potential supporters on all levels of the marketing funnel. Find new opportunities for growth of our grassroots base.
Work Experience: 4+ years of proven experience managing social media accounts and creating and curating content; experience telling an organization’s story on social platforms; advocacy and nonprofit experience a plus but not required.
Skills: Forward thinking, innovative, and creative mindset that is ready to push LCV and the
environmental movement forward through social media; excellent communicator, copywriter,
and creative thinker, with an ability to use both data and intuition to inform decisions;
experience with photography and/or videography a plus; effective working independently and
ability to work in fast-paced environment; familiarity in Adobe CS programs (InDesign,
Photoshop and Illustrator); enthusiastic team player; passionate about the environment and
advancing environmental justice.
Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement
and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive
Conditions: Must be willing and able to work overtime as needed; ability and willingness to
travel. This position is based in Washington, D.C. but qualified candidates outside of D.C. are
welcome to apply.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Social Media Manager” in the subject line by January 12, 2018. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace