Title: Special Assistant to the President and Board Liaison
Reports To: President
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The Special Assistant to the President and Board Liaison works closely with the President and LCV and LCV Education Fund Boards of Directors, providing high level administrative support and managing the priorities of the executive office. This position includes frequent interfacing with the Executive Team, senior staff, members of the Boards of Directors, external stakeholders and at times Members of Congress and Administration staff. We are seeking an organized individual with high attention to detail who also thinks holistically about the needs and expectations of the executive office.
• Manage the President’s schedule and prioritize incoming meeting requests of the President.
• Research, organize, and prepare materials for the President’s travel and speaking engagements.
• Coordinate logistics of the President’s travel, while keeping to budget.
• Represent the executive office in communications with key external stakeholders and handle inquiries with discretion as needed.
• Incorporate a justice lens to drafting any correspondence needed for the President.
• Draft correspondence as needed for the President.
• Coordinate quarterly meetings of the Boards of Directors and more frequent meetings of various board committees.
• Working closely with the SVP of Development, support board recruitment and board member cultivation and engagement.
• Track decisions requiring board-level approval and coordinate progress with relevant staff and board members.
• Prepare materials for the board and board committee meetings, including minutes, action items for approval and other related materials.
• Contribute to organizational efforts to infuse racial justice and equity into all aspects of the President’s work and organization wide initiatives.
• Plan and execute the annual Staff Retreat.
• Work with the General Counsel & Senior Vice President of Strategic Initiatives, in particular, on Board governance issues and any legal concerns that may arise.
• Support the execution of the Annual Conservation Voters Conference, particularly as it relates to board member engagement.
• Other duties as assigned.
Work experience: 3+ years of related experience in high level administration support role; demonstrated ability to work accurately under pressure, meet deadlines and manage high volume work load; experience working with a wide range of people, such as board of directors, high level donors and the public; experience in nonprofit organizations preferred.
Skills: Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills; must be highly organized and detail oriented; able to execute projects with minimal guidance; must be proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Needs solid judgment; discretion; critical thinking skills; a sense of teamwork and community; ability to handle multiple tasks and function in a demanding, fast paced environment; able to maintain confidentiality; ability to think proactively and holistically; interest in politics and environmental issues essential.
Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Conditions: This position is based out of Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Special Assistant to the President” in the subject line, or mail to League of Conservation Voters, Attn: Human Resources, 1920 L Street NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036 no later than April 21, 2017. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace