Washington, D.C. — Since President Biden first introduced his American Jobs Plan, state labor unions and environmental organizations across the country have joined together in solidarity to support his recovery package. They have repeatedly made clear that we must lift up working families and protect our environment at the same time. From Southern Florida to Duluth Minnesota, labor and environmental leaders have highlighted critical investments in President Biden’s infrastructure plan that will create good paying union jobs and transition the country to 100% clean energy.
- North Carolina – Greensboro News and Record and Fayetteville Observer
- Opinion piece authored by Carrie Clark, Executive Director of North Carolina League of Conservation Voters and MaryBe McMillan, President of the North Carolina State AFL-CIO
“With the president’s plan, we finally have a chance to address the intersecting health, economic, social and climate crises we face, through bold investments that can truly Build Back Better with justice and equity.”
- Wisconsin – Wisconsin Examiner
- Opinion piece authored by Pam Fendt, Great Lakes Region Organizing Committee of Laborers’ International Union of North America and Jennifer Giegerich, Government Affairs Director of Wisconsin Conservation Voters
“President Biden’s plan is a great start. Now it’s time for Congress to step up and pass a plan that makes these necessary investments in infrastructure, manufacturing, and the clean economy.”
- Minnesota – Duluth News Tribune
- Opinion piece authored by Dan Olson, International Liaison and Business Manager for Local 1091 Laborers’ International Union of North America and Paul Austin, Executive Director Conservation Minnesota Voter Center
“Congress has been presented a once-in-a-generation opportunity to build a more equitable and just future using strategies to help our communities recover and prosper by creating millions of good-paying union jobs, updating our country’s infrastructure, and putting us on a path to 100% clean energy.”
- Michigan – Press & Guide
- Opinion piece authored by Ron Bieber, President of Michigan AFL-CIO and Lisa Wozniak, Executive Director of Michigan League of Conservation Voters
“The president’s transformational plan is truly a win for our environment and health, a win for our economy and a win for working Americans.”
- Florida – Tampa Bay Times
- Opinion piece authored by Aliki Moncrief, Executive Director of Florida Conservation Voters and Dr. Rich Templin Legislative and Political Director for Florida chapter of the American Federation of Labor — Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
“Everyone who stands for fair, union jobs and climate action can come together. In this plan, pro-workers and pro-environment voices can sing in unison.”
- Virginia – Virginia Pilot
- Opinion piece authored by Lee Francis, Deputy Director of the Virginia League of Conservation Voters and Roxana Mejia, Government and Political Affairs Director for International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT) District Council 51.
“As negotiations in Washington continue, with some claiming the AJP is too broad and too bold, we urge Congress to rise to the occasion, seize this opportunity to retool our economy, create new jobs, and give working Americans the chance to thrive, instead of delivering just another pothole bill.”
- Massachusetts – MassLive
- Opinion piece authored by Elizabeth Turnbull Henry, President of the Environmental League of Massachusetts and Steven A. Tolman, President, Massachusetts AFL-CIO.
“We can create an economic recovery that does not leave anyone behind. Building back better means every community has a place in the clean economy. It is crucial that Congress’ infrastructure plan targets at least 40% of investments to low-income areas, communities of color, and places that have been impacted by energy transition.”
- Colorado – Colorado Newsline
- Opinion piece authored by Dennis Dougherty, Executive Director Colorado AFL-CIO and Jessica Goad, Deputy Director Conservation Colorado.
“With one voice, we call on Colorado’s members of Congress to step up, to lead by example, and to support and strengthen President Biden’s American Jobs Plan, and to do it now.”
- Ohio – Cleveland Plains Dealer
- Opinion piece authored by Tom Conway, International President of United Steelworkers and Gene Karpinski, President League of Conservation Voters.
“Congress has an unprecedented opportunity right now to curb this destructive trend, invest in dedicated American workers like those at Sharon Tube and make renewable energy projects a linchpin of the nation’s post-pandemic recovery.”
- New York – NY Daily News
- Opinion piece authored by Julie Tighe, President of the New York League of Conservation Voters. and Marc Herbst, President of NYRIC and executive director of Long Island Contractors’ Association
“As climate change continues to rage and the weather becomes more erratic, a critical investment in our climate infrastructure is needed more than ever for the safety of families across New York. No one should have to worry about a flash flood causing them to wade through water to get home from work, damage their property, or worse.”
- New Mexico – Albuquerque Journal
- Opinion piece authored by Rosendo Najar, New Mexico Business Representative for SW Regional Council of Carpenters and Molly Taylor, Deputy Director of Programs for Conservation Voters New Mexico
“The transition to clean energy creates tremendous economic opportunities for New Mexico and the people working to power our energy future. As President Joe Biden and Congress craft infrastructure deals … they must prioritize clean energy and the workforce development programs that will ensure our communities benefit for generations to come.”